Monday 15 April 2013

LGBT History Month Charity Event

February marked the annual celebration of LGBT History Month. As LGBT Officer in my College's Student Union I took LGBT History Month as an opportunity to decorate the College with rainbows and organise a fundraising day for LGBT charity Stonewall.

(English Lecturer Steve O'Neill with myself during the LGBT charity event)
Obtaining funding from my College Principal and Student Union I bought rainbow flags, bunting, badges and flower necklaces to decorate College and its students throughout the month. Students joined me in creating a giant rainbow paperchain to drape across the College balcony to further decorate the College and show their support for the LGBT community.

 I single handedly organised and promoted a fundraising day for LGBT chairty Stonewall on Friday 8th February which raised over 140 in 2 hours. I created posters, an article in the student bulletin and a message on the Student Union's Facebook to advertise the event.

The fundraising day comprised of a Guitar Hero competition, a rainbow cake sale, rainbow face painting and sponsoring English Tutor Steve O'Neill to wear a giant rainbow affro wig.

The event was the first of its kind for my College and the only celebration of LGBT History Month by an educational establishment in the area and consequently gained a place in the local newspaper.